Weight, mates and better health
So this week we have launched a drive to help people get as fit as possible to help fight Covid and other diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure. Whether for people that means losing weight, upping exercise or overhauling diets we are here to help, and people are helping each other.
Our first week has gone better then we could have expected with over 20 people joining us on our mission so far.
We have set up a WhatsApp group ’Weigh to Go’ for information and motivation and we would love you to join in. The idea of the group is to give people a space to share ideas, recipe's, and to help motivate and support each other. We have talked about apps that help us, the pros and cons of different 'diets' , shared recipes and lots of banter! .
The whole premise is slow and steady, and about making long term lifestyle changes so that we can keep them up over time. Remember if you're trying to lose weight 1/2 a pound a week is 1st12 over a year and a pound a week is nearly 4 stone!!
With lunch club on wheels this week we sent out packs to help those who are not on the internet get started. There was the first week of the NHS 12 week plan and a recipe for a tasty courgette and herb soup along with all the ingredients from the allotment to make it. We have had good reports back . Steven and Penny said it tasted great and made enough for tomorrow night as well, they are going to add some chicken to it too!.
Here is the recipe for you to try
Herby Courgette Soup
· 1tsp oil
· 1 onion, roughly chopped.
· 1 potato, peeled and roughly chopped into about 1cm cubes
· 1 courgette, quartered and roughly chopped.
· 1-2 large garlic cloves, crushed or sliced thinly.
· 500ml/ 1 pint litre of vegetable stock Bouillon powder made up to a litre with boiling water)
· Salt and pepper to taste
· Fresh herbs
· A few sprigs of mint to garnish
1. In a pan, add the oil, onion and potato and fry gently on a low heat for 5 minutes until soft. 2. Add the garlic and courgette and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring to combine all the flavours and to ensure nothing sticks on the bottom of the pan. 3. Add the stock and herbs, give the mixture a stir and then cover the pan, simmering for 10 minutes until everything is cooked through and tender. 4. Leave to cool slightly, then puree the soup mixture with a stick blender until silky smooth if you have one or eat chunky if not. 5. Add salt and pepper to taste. 6. Serve garnished with mint.
So lets do this.....Together!
If you would like to join us please get in touch with Fran or Kathryn on 07592003595 or 07743687053